Sunday, November 6, 2016

Monday, November 7, 2016 Featured Cookie: Chocolate Chip, A Tribute to Papa Santinhu and Lila

On November 1, 2016, my maternal grandfather, Papa Santinhu, turned 102.   My paternal grandmother, Lila, who lived to be 101, always had her born day celebrated on November 7.  The chocolate cookie sampled on these days are for them.  Not because it is their favorite cookie, but because they were my first literacy educators.

I don't know if I would be able to tell a story or write and perform a poem the way I do if it wasn't for the way they told me stories. In their honor this week, I finish out the a chapter in my book called, Kene Ki Tembu.   In Cape Verdean Krioulu, it means who had you and in African American languages, who keeps you?(Kynard).   I use it as a decolonizing method of research and evidence that requires a sound knowledge of your People and who they are, and I am turning this into a literacy project for youth where they learn ancient history and tell the story of who they are and their People are historically.  Sample and put your order in for them cookies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment