Monday, November 7, 2016

Tuesday November 8, & Wednesday November 9, 2016: Oatmeal Raisin and Oatmeal White Chocolate Cranberry, A Tribute to Maezinha and Paizinho

Maezinha and Paizinho, respectively mean mother and father in Portuguese.  Maezinha and Paizinho are words of endearment.   I love my parents so much.  If I had to think of their favorite cookie, it would be an oatmeal cookie.  For my father it would be oatmeal raisin and my mother oatmeal white chocolate cranberry.   In Cape Verde there were not many opportunities unless you had money. Neither one of my parents had money.  My father's family was poorer than my mother's family. Because my parents were very studious and did well in school at a young age they were very successful.   My dad became a judge at a very young age, and my mother was a school teacher. From my dad I learned so much about history and justice and my mom taught me activities to do with little ones that involved story telling  While they accomplished so much in Cape Verde when they came here anew, they began as factory workers.  Eventually, my mother would work in a copy center in an engineering company and my dad would be a community liaison for the Mass Migrant Education Program. I feel that my love for teaching, social justice and community comes from the stories they shared. The literacy project I imagine here is on community literacy---a project that puts together some of my favorites things my mother and father taught me.  I hope you enjoy today's sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment